According to an article on domain.com.au titled "Budget, Mid Range or Luxury: How Much Does a Bathroom Renovation Really Cost?", a full renovation for a small bathroom could cost between $20,000 - $27,000.
Our prices are consistent with this study. For a basic, small sized bathroom our cost would be approximately $20,750, broken down as below:
Demolishing the old bathroom:
Electrical (GPO’s, Lights, Fanlight):
Cost of materials/ fittings:
Generally, higher quality or larger bathrooms cost between $25,000 and $30,000 and premium bathrooms could cost more than $35,000.
Bathroom Renovation Costs All Depends On...
The ultimate cost of your bathroom renovation depends on a few factors:
- The size of your bathroom.
- Structural changes that are required - for example skylights, new windows, moving plumbing or electrical points, replastering walls etc.
- The quality of materials and fittings used - for example underfloor heating.
It really all depends on what you’re looking to achieve.
- Those with a smaller budget may just want to polish, clean and upgrade some choice fittings. This can be achieved however tile removal will usually require a full renovation due to waterproofing issues.
- Investors may will want to spend the least amount possible to create a wow factor that will help sell their property.
- Those with a lavish budget may want to make structural changes, use premium fittings and add luxurious elements like underfloor heating.
Cost of Demolishing The Old Bathroom
The major cost for demolishing an old bathroom is the cost to remove all the tiles. You can expect to pay trades anywhere between $45-$55 per square metre for tile removal.
On top of tile removal it costs $360 (3 meters) to hire a skip. The other key factors to consider are the presence of Asbestos and pests.
These are not generally included in the pricing as they are unseen until removal. If Asbestos is present it generally costs an additional $35-$50/m2 for removal.
The presence of pests may include rats, mice, termites or borers. These are priced separately by a pest specialist. Wherever concrete is cut or drilled a pest inspection and rectification is required.
Make Good Walls
In terms of a per square meter rate, expect:
- Hard plaster rates to range from $50 to $70 per square meter
- Wet plaster rates to be range from $75 to $90 per square meter
This depends largely on what is discovered behind the old plaster, the type of boards used and the amount of battoning required.
Cost of Waterproofing
Bathroom waterproofing is mandated by law and must comply with Building Code Australia (BCA) and Australian Standard AS3740. You can expect to pay $750 to $900 for professional waterproofing.
Cost of Tiling
The cost of tiling can be broken into 2 components - the cost of the tiles themselves and the cost of a tiler. You can expect to pay a tiler anywhere between $75 and $120 m2.
Tiles cost between $30 and $55 per square meter (m2) on average. Exclusiv Bathrooms have arrangements with major tile suppliers which secure builders ranges of tiles at $35/m2.
Cost for Bathroom Tiles
Cost for Bathroom Tilers
Tiler rates will vary in price depending on:
- size of tiles,
- whether they are porcelain, ceramic, or feature tiles, and
- how intricate the job is.
Cost of Bathroom Plumbing
Plumbers are required for the bath, shower and toilet installations and also any plumbing that needs to be added.
Professional plumbers can cost anywhere between $65 - $85 per hour.
$2,000 - $3,000
$3,000 - $4,000
$5,000 - $8,000
$500 - $1,000
$1,000 - $2,000
$2,000 - $4,000
Cost of Bathroom Materials and Fittings
Materials and fittings can make up a significant cost of your bathroom renovation. We use a range of bathroom fitting suppliers and receive wholesale pricing, which we pass onto our customers (i.e. it’s cheaper to buy your fittings through us than through any online retailer).
Bath Tap Set
Basin Tap Set
Our qualified interior bathroom designers can help you with your budget and also with design elements that you may not have considered.
Best of all, they’ll design and cost your bathroom for free.
Here’s how our process works:
- We’ll visit you at your house.
- Accurately measure your floor space.
- Discuss and take notes on your design ideas
- Provide advice, but only if you ask us to do so
- Design a prototype using our 3D CAD software
- Invite you to our showroom to inspect the design and make changes, and review the products chosen. Generally we find that customers have not selected their products yet. We will provide a very good value range for pricing.
Unlike other bathroom companies we pride ourselves on having a strict no sales pressure policy. We don’t employ any sales tricks like buy this now and we’ll give you a 50% discount on your tiles. This means the design and quote we provide really is obligation free.
1300 865 954
(07) 3823 3903
How to Keep Your Bathroom Renovation Costs Down
A bathroom renovation is one of the greatest investments you’ll ever make for your home. Whether you’re looking to sell the house or just improving or upgrading the look, bathroom remodeling will be very beneficial in the long run. However, total renovation can cost you a lot as it will involve replacing old tiles and installing new ones, upgrading the plumbing, materials, and fittings, and fix electricals if needed. Depending on the size of your bathroom, renovation may cost from $20,000 to $40,000. You might think, how can you cut down the costs but still have great results?
Materials and fittings are usually the biggest chunk in the total cost of bathroom renovations. When planning for the renovation, it’s best not to overdo changes or installation when it comes to materials and fittings. Go for the simpler products especially if you are tight on budget. It’s even better if you let interior designers take a look at your bathroom to give more insights and ideas on how to cut costs.
How much does it cost to renovate a small bathroom in Australia?
Renovating a small bathroom in Australia can cost around $20,000 to $27,000 depending on the materials and other changes that are needed to be done.
How much does it cost to replace a bathroom?
The cost of replacing a whole bathroom will depend on the costs of the following:
- tile demolishing,
- making good walls,
- tiling, plumbing,
- electricity, and
- materials or fittings.
In Australia, a basic, small bathroom renovation can cost $20,750 to $27,000. Larger bathrooms with higher quality products will cost $25,000 to $30,000.
How can I make my bathroom look expensive?
Generally, people think that making their bathrooms look expensive means going all out with money for decorating and renovating. However, you can still achieve the look by just understanding and knowing the essential materials needed.
A simple change in lighting or changing the color scheme can do wonders for your bathroom. If you need to redo the tiles, you can opt to have it tiled diagonally rather than in a vertical or horizontal line to give the room a different feel. Interior designers have the best knowledge when it comes to making your bathroom look expensive. Book a consultation now to find out how to make your bathroom look expensive without breaking the bank.
How much does it cost to remove a bathtub and install a shower?
Professional plumbers charge from $65-$85 per hour depending on the size and type of shower you want to install.
- For a small bathroom, installing a basic shower stall can cost around $2,000 to $3,000.
- For a medium-sized bathroom, it can cost around $3,000 to $4,000.
- For a large bathroom, a shower installation can cost around $5,000 to $8,000.
If you want to have a custom tile shower, there will be additional charges.
How much does it cost to replace bathroom floor?
The cost of replacing bathroom tiles depends on two factors: the cost of tiles and the cost of the tiler. The pricing of tiles varies depending on the size, quality, and the total square meters of the bathroom.
- For a small bathroom, tiles can cost between $525 to $900.
- For a medium bathroom, tiles can cost between $595 to $1,020.
- For a large bathroom, tiles can cost between $980 to $1,680.
The cost of tilers depend on the difficulty of the job and the total size of the bathroom.
- For a small bathroom, tilers cost around $1,125 to $1,800.
- For a medium-sized bathroom, tilers cost from $1,275 to $2,040.
- For a large bathroom, tilers charge between $2,100 to $3,360.
How much does it cost to redo a bathroom shower?
When redoing a bathroom shower, consider the costs of the type of shower stall, the plumbing, and the labor costs. Shower enclosures ranges from $800 to $1,400, the plumbing costs range from $2,000 to $8,000, and labor costs depend on how much the plumber charges per hour.
How long do bathroom renovations take?
It depends on the size of the bathroom and other structural changes that are needed to be done. An average-sized bathroom will take 6 to 8 weeks to finish, while a smaller bathroom can only 4 to 5 weeks.
How much should I spend on a renovation?
There is no exact amount on how much you should spend on your bathroom renovation. There are a lot of factors you need to consider when thinking of renovating. The renovation costs depend on the size of the bathroom and additional fixtures or structural changes you want to achieve.
- On average, small bathrooms with basic renovations can cost around $20,000 to $27,000;
- large bathrooms with higher quality renovations can cost $25,000 to $30,000 and;
- premium bathroom renovations can cost $35,000 or higher.
It’s better to consult one of our professional bathroom interior designers.
How do I estimate the cost of a bathroom remodel?
There are several factors to consider when estimating the cost of a bathroom remodeling. Do you want to have an expensive-looking bathroom so that it will look good for buyers? Or does your bathroom only need basic upgrade on fittings and materials? You also need to know if your budget is within range of what you want to achieve. Oftentimes, people want extravagant bathrooms but they don’t realize they need to shell more money out.
Exclusiv Bathrooms offer a free consultation for your bathroom remodeling needs. Our professional interior designers can give you estimates and other things which might help in the renovation.
How do you start a bathroom renovation?
Exclusiv Bathrooms have qualified and professional bathroom interior designers who can help you start your bathroom renovation. We also help you design the bathroom of your dreams for free. How do we work? Here are the steps:
- Designer visits your house
- Measuring the whole bathroom space
- Brainstorming of design ideas
- Designing the ideas with the help of 3D CAD software
- Inviting the client to the showroom to inspect and review products before finalizing the price.
Interested in our service? You can book a free consultation with one of our designers by clicking here. Exclusiv Bathrooms is always ready to help you sort out your bathroom renovation needs. We would also love to hear your own ideas and together, we will come up with the quality results you’re looking for. What are you waiting for? Drop us a message to get things started!